TP-Link Archer C7 with OpenWRT firmware
I was running stock firmware for a couple of months but I needed the router to do more. I was reluctant to spend a lot of money on a high end router thus opted to install OpenWRT Chaos Calmer 15.05 into my TP-Link Archer C7 v2.
Why replace the stock firmware?
With OpenWRT, I now have:
- Customisable VLAN switch
- Host OpenVPN server
- Connect to multiple OpenVPN servers
- iptables for complex and dynamic firewall rules
- Firewall rules that can be applied on IP or MAC address
- QoS rules by port numbers
- Load balancing by source/destination IP address and/or port numbers
- Multiple dynamic DNS hosts over more providers too
- Multiple time servers
With the above, it has more features than expensive routers costing three times more.
The trial and error was not entirely smooth though. I had to overcome several obstacles including entering Failsafe mode and glad that worked! In the coming days, I will be sharing a series of what and how I did.